Online School General & Enrollment FAQ

What grades are offered by Insight Schools of California?

Insight Schools of California currently offers grades 9–12.

Is Insight Schools of California really tuition free?

Yes. Because we are a public school, we operate under the same state guidelines as traditional public schools. This means we receive the same funding as a traditional school, and no tuition is required. There are some expenses a family may incur including the provision of common household and office supplies such as printer ink and paper.

Does the program provide textbooks and other instructional materials?

We provide the textbooks and instructional materials that are needed to complete the program. These books and materials are sent to students directly. High school students receive fewer books and materials than elementary and middle school students. Common household items and office supplies like printer ink and paper are not provided. Our enrollment consultants can help address your technological and computer questions and needs.

How many students will get into the school?

Insight Schools of California is a public school. In most cases, students who wish to enroll are admitted subject only to capacity and the grade restrictions listed above and the age and geographical limitations listed below.

What if my child is behind on credits or failing classes?

Insight Schools of California specializes in addressing the needs of struggling students. We develop an individualized plan to ensure all students have an education roadmap to success that's specific to them.

What are the location and age restrictions?

Insight Schools of California serves the following counties: Inyo, Kern, Kings, Los Angeles, Ventura, San Bernardino, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Tulare, Imperial, Orange, Riverside, San Diego, Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, Contra Costa, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Santa Clara, Stanislaus.

Students must be 20 years of age or younger when they enroll. Students who turn 21 while enrolled and need additional education in order to receive a diploma may remain enrolled until they meet the graduation requirements or the end of the school year in which they turn 21, whichever occurs first. Enrolling students must also be able to demonstrate completion of the eighth grade through official transcript or homeschool portfolios.

Can students enroll and begin classes at any time of the year?

Students can submit an enrollment application anytime during the year and, once approved, start at the next scheduled start date.

I've been expelled. Will I get into Insight Schools of California?

Each case is reviewed based upon records from your current or former school district. As a California public school, current expulsions from another district may be honored.

What if my family is homeless?

ISCA provides McKinney-Vento/Homeless assistance and supports for eligible families who meet the definition as defined below. If you feel you may be eligible for assistance through the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, please contact Melisse Burns, ISCA Homeless Liaison at or 530-421-8165.

According to section 725(2) of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 11434a(2)), the term “homeless children and youths”—

(A) means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence...; and

(B) includes—

(i) children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster care placement;

(ii) children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;

(iii) children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and

(iv) migratory children who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses (i) through (iii).

Children and youth are considered homeless if they fit both part A and any one of the subparts of part B of the definition above.

Click here to find out more information [PDF]

ISCA’s Homeless Liaison
Melisse Burns